Keep in your mind...

Since I am building my blog whenever I have free time, and adding each movie takes time, each time you come back to my blog, you will see more and more movies with richer context. At the moment, there are 68 robbery movies in the blog, while many others, including the latest heist movies, are waiting to be added. So make sure that you note down my blog address or click the button to be a 'follower' and come back.

And please don't hesitate to vote for the polls and share your opinions to encourage my work.

Wednesday 23 September 2015

The Ladykillers (1955)

Directed by Alexander Mackendrick
Starred Alec Guinness, Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom, Peter Sellers, Dany Green, Jack Warner, Katie Johnson ...
1955, United Kingdom, English

 
Here is the original The Ladykillers that Coen Brothers made a remake in 2004, also available in the blog. 1955 British production with big stars like Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers offers a great caper movie, a classic in its genre and promises lots of laughter.

I enjoyed this movie very much and although I am fan of both Coen Brothers and Tom Hanks, I like this one much better than its 2004 remake.

A very sympathetic movie, smoothly progresses and makes you often smile. I am aware that comedy is a very special genre, and everybody`s likes or dislikes on the examples of the genre might vary dramatically. But, hell, this one was exactly for me :)

The lead actress, Katie Johnson did a great job in my opinion and I cannot think that I would enjoy this movie without her as much. The interesting thing is she was director Mackendrick`s original choice for the role, but the producers found her a little too frail for the job, so they cast a younger actress who sadly passed away before the filming began. Katie Johnson was 77 years old back then, did only one more movie after this one and passed away only 2 years later after The Ladykillers was released.

The Ladykillers was nominated for Best Writing & Original Screenplay for Academy Awards. Katie Johnson won Best British Actress award and William Rose won Best British Screenplay award in BAFTA, where the movie was nominated for Best British Film and Best Film from any Source categories.

If you like capers, or comedies, I believe you have to try this one if you haven`t already done so.

To see the whole blog, click here

 

 
If you look for;

a caper movie considered as classic
an award winner heist movie
a nostalgic robbery movie
a heist movie with a great cast
a heist with lots of laughter

then this is your movie.

***

If you liked this movie, I believe you might like also:
(available in the blog)

Flypaper (2011)
The Ladykillers (2004)
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
My Mom`s New Boyfriend (2008)
Crime Spree (2003)
Pink Panther (1963)
Quick Change (1990)
I soliti ignori / Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958)

If you liked this movie, IMDb believes you might like also:
(available in the blog)

The Ladykillers (2004)

***  

Degree: Caper Movie
Sub-Category: Armored Car Robbery, Bank Robbery
Excellence of Robbery Plan: 2/5
Originality of Robbery Plan: 3/5
Quality of Robbery Action Scenes: 2/5
Actors' Performances: 4/5
Excitement Level: 2/5
Surprise Level: 2/5
Humor Level: 4/5
Originality of the Story in General: 3/5
Rating As A Robbery/Heist Movie: 3/5
Rating the Movie As A Whole: 3/5

Important Reminder: Below trailer might contain important spoilers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to share your comments, they will absolutely encourage me :)
You can submit your comment also as Anonymous. But after submitting, the page will be reloaded and will ask you for word verification. In the other case, your comment won't appear :(